Mushrooms in the flower pot show up as a white coating or as a real mushroom with a cap. Contrary to popular belief, however, fungus formation in the pot has less to do with too much moisture. When it occurs, the question arises whether the fungus in the pot could be harmful or poisonous. The following article sheds some light on this question and explains where the condition comes from and how it can be combated.

Mushrooms in the flower pot – cause

Often the claim is made that the plants in the tub were watered too much, that the soil is constantly too moist and that fungus forms as a result. But this is not always the case, the spores can also settle on dry earth and multiply. Experts suspect that one of the main causes of fungus growth in a vessel is peat additives in the commercially available potting soil. This guess arises from the following knowledge:

  • Fungi decompose organic materials
  • grow on soils rich in humus
  • inferior potting soil has a high proportion
  • are therefore more at risk
  • in addition, there is air and soil moisture
  • Molds prefer a warm, humid climate

With mushrooms in flower pots, a distinction must always be made between a real fungus as it occurs in the forest and an attack on other types of fungus, which are often perceived as mold.

Tip: So that there is no later fungal infestation in the bucket, you should not do without high-quality potting soil already when planting.

Harmfulness

If the first signs of a fungal infestation are discovered in the bucket, then of course the question immediately arises whether this is harmful to the plants. If only a few real mushrooms appear, then this is not a problem. However, if the area becomes larger and larger, it can become a water-repellent surface, which can cause the following damage:

  • less air penetrates the earth
  • Water no longer gets through the earth’s surface
  • Bottlenecks in oxygen supply via roots
  • Lack of water

However, a fungal attack in a bucket that is in a closed room is always dangerous for humans and pets. Because the spores are distributed in the room air and are then inhaled. This can lead to allergies and even asthma if the fungus in the bucket is not removed.

Toxicity

In addition to the harmfulness, the question naturally also arises, are the mushrooms growing in the flower pot poisonous? The white and yellow mushrooms usually appear in pots on the ground. These are molds of the genus Peziza ostracoderma and yellow parapets of the genus Leucocoprinus birnbaumii. The following is known about this:

  • Mold forms a white coating
  • not to be recognized as “real” mushrooms
  • dangerous if absorbed into the body
  • for example adhering to fruits
  • Put the whole fruit in the leftover garbage
  • Spores may already have entered

So far, there is no real evidence of toxicity for the yellow folding umbrella. However, if there are small children in the household, the folded umbrellas, which may sprout in a container next to a plant, should be removed. Because children are curious and could put a mushroom in their mouth.

Note: In addition, it has not yet been proven that the spores of the parrot can cause allergic reactions due to inhalation. However, combating it by removing the cause is always sensible.

Fight fungi in the flower pot

As soon as you recognize the first mushrooms in the flower pot, you should therefore act immediately for the sake of your own health. It is imperative that the soil in the pot should be completely replaced. The procedure is as follows:

  • Immediately remove the flower pot from the apartment
  • Check other pots for infestation as well
  • Ventilate the apartment well
  • ideally on draft for some time
  • Wear gloves and a face mask
  • then take the plant out of the pot
  • remove all soil from the roots
  • Dispose of the earth in the closed bag in the residual waste
  • Clean the pot with a brush and a vinegar solution
  • Wash the roots of the plant well

Once the pot and the plant have been cleaned, they can be put back in the original container. When cleaning, make sure that you scrub the bucket thoroughly from the inside and outside with the brush. Only high-quality potting soil from the trade should be used for planting.

Avoid mold

To avoid fungi and especially the dangerous molds in the flower pot, some precautionary measures can be taken right from the start. These should look like this:

  • Place drainage over the drainage hole
  • with expanded clay, gravel or potsherds
  • so there is no waterlogging
  • prevent high humidity in the room
  • ventilate regularly
  • Only water the plant when the top layer is dry
  • Pour the plant from below over the drainage plate
  • always use only high quality soil
Tip: Even if the high-quality potting soil is a little more expensive, it should be purchased. Because if fungi show in the flower pot, it is harmful to your own health and the measures to be taken to combat it take time.

Conclusion
It can be assumed that a fungal attack in the flower pot is not dangerous for the plant in a moderate case. Nevertheless, you should definitely fight the fungi in a bucket that is in the apartment, because the released fungal spores can be inhaled and these can trigger allergies and are therefore harmful to all residents of a household. Avoiding fungi, on the other hand, is possible with the right care and good quality potting soil.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *